Saturday 26 April 2008

Raw from a Salsa workshop.

Many thanks to Joanna for the exercise.

From a distance

She seeks her own plumage and, many-layered
and dazzle-me varied, it catches my eye every time.
Characterised by consistently blue eyes, I listen
for the high-pitched imitations of her favourite
punk-rock bands all round the house, and often,
caught unawares, she'll be playing something
usually preserved to fill her own personal silences.
She thrives anywhere, but prefers company
wherever anywhere becomes; there are nights
when all she has are memories of long-dead
furry mammals and friend pretenders on the TV
squawking parrot colours at her still-blue eyes.

Her migrations are irregular but consistent;
her feeding habits inconsistent but regular, showing
little regard for the long-term effects of sugar.
She is obsessed with the infusion of peppermint
in hot water but avoids me and my attention.
All I know of her physicality is that love is not
enough without return, and she returns it rarely.


No comments: