Tuesday 3 June 2008

An old one that's never had an airing.

the things we forget

I. bacon

We were stuffing our faces with palindromes,
and with those huge chewy over-wrapped palindromes
we E-numbered through the night. Miles and miles
of time we gained between us, though the sky came up eventually,
when my head was resting hard against the window.

II. insect repellent

Once we had arrived it was clear ideas spread like ant-nests there.
Watching for grasshoppers like they were shooting stars,
I spread my eyes across the grass to catch them.
I couldn't hide the quiet smile as I captured one's music
with the supermacro setting on my camera.

III. something to wee in

Admiring the false privacy of tents we caught a man,
kneeling and pissing onto his own undersheet. We made
poems of him and Jaffa Cakes, as if no-one could hear.
It's strange to say but I savoured the experience of
long-drops and other people's retching, peeing, retching.

IV. a different pair of shoes

It was easy to capture other people's Google-searches for wellies
and oh how people frame their momentary obsessions
in the neat digital age: fields of people all with arms raised and Jarvis
in their sights. One man took picture after picture of a sleeping girl;
every image the same but for the songs changing behind her.

No comments: