Wednesday 31 December 2008

Happiest of 2009s to you.



Cheating, leaping, time

Destined now to be a second early
I am reminded of a one-second time machine
we saw once in a film. We loved the way

it seemed plausible at first, but going forwards
turned into prediction, and by definition,
was wrong. The presumption of this second

has left me lagging in my year, wrong-footed.
Some try to tell me that the earth isn't slowing,
that it's us who are fundamentally wrong

but time is so slippery nowadays that it feels like cheating.
I haven't changed my own clocks, but long to hear
the pips on Radio 4 as infallible again.

2 comments:

Harry Covert said...

And seemingly random things he had experienced in recent days curiously turned up in a film about dreams:

A 'one-second time machine' she once mentioned in a poem; a "Will you marry me?" asked by the boy in the capital city; and those coloured cellophane wrappers from new year treats that transformed us into pop stars.

Just random things he experienced, now collated and retold in moving pictures, as though the film itself was a dream he might yet have.

Catalogue25 said...

Crikey... I feel like my mind has been mashed, reordered, rewritten and then left by the smiling skipping perpetrator who smiles not from evil glee, but childish, impish, delight.

Thanks! xx