Tuesday 8 July 2008

Yet another letter. Thanks James.



Dear you

We have never met. Because of this
I feel no need to apologise for this letter
but by means of explanation: hello.

I have been told you are nice, except
that is only because I have come to expect
that this is what people say.

You must be flattered to be chosen
like this. It was your name – It means
wisdom – and your 13th place.

The number has no significance to me
but here are some confessions
to get us acquainted:

I wish more people would notice
my colour coordination. I once weed
in my bedroom. It was cold and night.

Most things are more important to me
than I let on. This letter is not
one of those things.

When you reply, do not think of it as dialogue
except in the larger sense. I attach
no return address: look someone up.

You will never know if I am the first
or twenty-seventh (this number also
means nothing). This is not a chain letter.

I have no control, through ideas or CCTV,
over your life and this letter
should not influence your decision to write.

I feel I know you well enough now to share
the only piece of advice that has been real
to me: It gets no worse than this.



No comments: