Monday 14 July 2008

Fantastical.



Embrace

The man I am hugging is decidedly taller
than I'm used to and wearing a trenchcoat
in a fetching shade of beige. It almost reaches

the floor. We are skewiff, my head towards his shoulder
out of line. We are not alone, but I feel our own hearts
beating. I am encapsulated, in possession of his shoulders.

My arms tighten, my grip is stronger. I test myself
against his ribs; he responds by breathing. Our breaths
stretch us out, give us purchase for the deepening

hold. It is not just his heart I feel, it is the veins
themselves; tissue fluid whooshing between cells
all calling for combination. There is no way out

but through. It feels for the longest time like
stalemate. My arms are shaking. I am lighter than blood
through his head through his knees through shoulders

I am lost in a singular us. I hear his silence as now
and break out. We turn to each other. His coat is open
where a button is missing; on my chest its imprint fades.



No comments: